This month, our featured employee is Catherine Flynn. Catherine joined Gheel as an administrative assistant in November 2019.
1. What do you do?
I provide administrative assistance and support to the Practice Team and the Regional Managers.
2. Describe your typical working day?
I first check for referrals that have been received, calls and emails to Gheel and follow-up on those. Then it’s on to admin and support which covers a wide range of items and following-up on those different items. I also assist with training coordination and training administration. Each day is very different and I really enjoy the variety that the role brings.
3. What are your qualifications/background?
I initially completed an Arts Degree in French and Spanish in UCD and then completed a diploma in HR achieving Chartered Membership of the CIPD. I am currently undertaking a Humanities Degree (Psychology Major) through DCU distance-learning and am loving it!
4. Tell us about your previous work experience?
I initially started my career in a multi-lingual technical support call centre then moving into HR where I spent the last 20 years. My career to date has mostly been in multi-national organisations across a range of sectors. In line with my current studies I decided to take a change of role and sector which allows me time to achieve balance on many levels.
5. What is the best thing about your job?
The best thing about my job is that it presents me with the opportunity to communicate and work with so many individuals across the organisation enabling me to learn more about the organisation and the services that we provide to the people that we support. I see what an amazing group of individuals we have here at Gheel!
Here are Catherine’s responses to our personality pop quiz!
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? Sitting on my favourite armchair, relaxing and Heart 80’s playing in the background.
- What is your greatest fear? Waking up one morning and realising that either my beloved Nespresso machine doesn’t work or the Nespresso capsules have run out.
- What is your greatest extravagance? My neon yellow Nespresso machine.
- What is your current state of mind? Every cloud does indeed have a silver lining.
- What do you most dislike about your appearance? My frizzy hair.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? To have straight hair.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? Completing the Wicklow Half Marathon and all the training I did to prepare for it.
- Where would you most like to live? Formentera, the sister island of Ibiza. The beaches and sea are just so beautiful plus it’s a very unspoiled and chilled out destination.
- What is your most treasured possession? My family.
- Who are your favourite writers? I love reading in general. It’s hard to pick but probably Jane Austen and Sebastian Faulks. Recently I have started reading Brené Brown and am enjoying her books!
- What is it that you most dislike? When people don’t pick up after their dogs – Grrrr…
- What is your greatest regret? Not pursuing my piano exams to Grade 8; I stopped at 5!
- What is your motto? Don’t (procrastinate/over) think, just do it.